Monday, September 5, 2011

Sandpaper and Sponges

This scrapbook layout has my signature grunge feel with lots of stamped elements layered in.  I created this page for when Logan and I traveled to Florida to visit family.  I waited until Logan was about 3 months before making the trip out there.  As a new mom, I was worried about being on the road with a little one.  It turned out to be a great trip and I learned that it is a bit difficult to trapse around Florida with a 3 month old who likes to nurse every 2 hours.
 This page includes a home made embellishment.  I started with a square piece of crumb cake.  I stamped the dots from the Extreme Elements stamp in versamark and embossed with clear embossing powder.  I matted this square with a Night of Navy square.  I punched a hole (with that retired punch that I can't remember the name of) and ran chocolate chip 5/8" grosgrain through it.  Then I added two elements- the compass and the circle brad.  I stamped the compass from the Sentimental Journey set, embossed it, cut it out, and then placed a silver brad in the center.  I added interest to the designer circle brad by rubbing it on the chocolate chip craft pad. It took a long long long time for the ink to dry because the brad is non porous and the ink just sits up on top. 
 In the picture above you will notice the tear right under the embellishment.  It looks like it is there on purpose right?  Well to tell the truth I had to work that tear in because I didn't have a 12" length of crumb cake.  I only had a 8.5 x 11 inch sheet to work with so I basically pieced it together.  So instead of piecing it together at the end I pieced it together part way through.  I then tore it and sponged it to make it look like it fit with the rest of the page.
The title is a combination of the Jayne's Type Alphabet set and one of the words in the Sentimental Journey set.  The letters from this alphabet set are very nice.  I added to the grunge feel by using the kissing technique on the letters.  ie. Ink up the "B" then press the star stamp to the inked "B."  Then stamp the "B."  Don't forget to add stars to the title to add to the layered look!
On the stamped squares I just collaged the images from the extreme elements and sentimental journey sets.  I experimented with different colors for each to give the page more variety. And I sponged around them too -as if I needed to tell you that!

The journaling is handwritten with a Stampin' Write marker I also sanded the Designer Series Paper to get some of that fabulous white core to show through.
I do not think it was intentional at the time of creating this scrapbook page but I made it out of 100% Stampin' Up! products. Go me!  Go me!  Oh yeah.  Oh yeah.  So the Designer Series Paper and the sentimental journey stamp set and the designer brads are retired (but you can easily substitute them with other items.)
Thanks for looking at my artful, grungey, yet baby scrapbook layout! 

Stampin' Up! products used:
Stamp sets:  Jayne's Type Alphabet, Sentimental Journey, Extreme Elements
Paper:  Crumb Cake, Night of Navy, Chocolate Chip DSP, Bashful Blue
Ink: Bashful Blue, Versamark, Night of Navy, Chocolate Chip (Classic and Craft)
Accessories: Designer Circle Brads, Chocolate Chip 5/8" grosgrain ribbon, silver brads
Tools:  Square punches, hole punch (I still can't remember the name and my old catalog is buried in a box in the depths of my closet...and it's late and well you get the picture.)
I also used sandpaper and sponges, hence the title.

Happy Stamping!
-Staci

No comments:

Post a Comment