Friday, August 26, 2011

It's in the details

Today, I want to share a page with you that I created awhile back. It is the first page, the intro page, to Gavin's Baby Scrapbook. It is also one of my all time favorites.
As you read my entries for scrapbook layouts you may notice that I jump around a bit. That is how I like to do it. I like to let inspiration hit me. So I typically do a few now pages, stuff that recently happened, followed by older pages. The older pages I do in no particular order. Although, recently I have been trying to finish both of the boys' baby books. I have also noticed a strong deviation from my normal level or intricacy of scrapbooking. So I think I am going to halt on pushing to finish the books and just finish them when I get to them. It so funny how demanding my self-imposed deadlines can be.
I think this one is a favorite of mine because of all of the little details.  I guess it helps that I love, love, love this photo of Gavin.  So here is a detail of the embellishment that I made.  The cardstock and designer paper is SU but the pewter thingies (can't think of the word right now) is from my stash.  You know that stash of stuff you have in your craft closet.  What a great idea!  I should use something from my stash.  I do not know if it is called a stash but in the knitting world it is so from henceforth the stuff in my craft room is called the stash.  I started with the square of DSP and crumpled and sanded it.  I love how our DSP has a white core so that you can actually sand it and see white!  The strip on the right was created by running Chocolate Chip cardstock through the crimper.  The other piece is just corrugated cardboard.  I inked it up with craft ink.  Maybe I sense a video tutorial coming......
I love the title too.  The letters are from some cheap set that I picked up at the local craft store, on sale of course.  Do you see that I used eyelets?  Is that not vogue anymore?  I got the feeling that it has gone out of style but I am not a fashionista and I guess there are no scrapbook police so I used them anyway.  The small letters are ribbon slides but I used a piece of paper instead of ribbon.  I liked it better because they don't slide around as much.
The little letters are from this cute retired set from SU.  They fit in the little hole punch perfectly.  I hope they come out with another set like that.  Here and above you can see the serious amount of spongeing that I did.  The paper was cute (also a stash piece from a paper sale- I can't resist those 4 for a $1 sales or whatever they are) but it was too plain it definitely needed some distressing.  I think I used direct to paper technique with a Not Quite Navy craft pad. The ink is much wetter and looks like paint.  I also used a stipple brush and added in more texture that way too.
And then I have the half pocket and journaling tag.  I just love the Satin Ribbon tied with twine.  The intro page always includes a letter to the recipient, in this case Gavin. 
I am not going to list everything that went into this one because I don't remember but I thought you would like to at least know the color combos.
Paper:  Blueberry Crisp, Chocolate Chip DSP, More Mustard, Not Quite Navy, Sahara Sand, Chocolate Chip, and Very Vanilla
Ink:  Not Quite Navy craft and classic ink, More Mustard, Chocolate Chip Craft
And for the SU junkies, I used Alphabits and Sanded.

The more I do this blog thing the more I like it!  I hope you are inspired to get creative!
Happy Stamping!
-Staci


No comments:

Post a Comment