Friday, August 19, 2011

Sick days and Potential Card Swaps

My son is home sick today from school.  I had planned to get a lot of photography work done.  So much for that idea.  So I am blogging earlier in the day than usual while listening to Sesame Street.  Oh, the life of a Mom!
So on to the cards- I was working on creating a card for a swap.  The only criteria for this swap is to use 100% current SU! products.  I have very little from the new catalog but wanted to showcase at least something new so I chose the houndstooth embossing folder.  I just love the embossing folders and there is a new one in the upcoming holiday mini!  So excited!  I tried inking the folder and then running it through the Big Shot (I forgot what that technique is called.) But all I got was a inky mess.  I think the folder is too busy for that technique or maybe it was operator error.  In any case, I came up with a new technique.  I embossed the paper first and then brayered it with craft ink.  I love how it turned out.  I think this would only work on a pattern that is really raised and that is close together. 


As you can see, I also used a lot of distressing and sponging on this card.

The main portion (to the left) is a combination of most of the stamps found in the Extreme Elements set.  I started by stamping the large paint splatter in Cajun Craze.  I then layered in some Soft Suede stars and spots.  I finished off with Staz-On ink so that the top images would really show up.  Here is a close-up:

The "i miss you" sentiment comes from the Three Little Words set.  I like how it can easily be exchanges with "i love you."
For the finishing touch I wrapped the linen thread around the middle portion.  I attached the ends to the back with regular tape.  I love how the linen thread has the look of twine but it is lightweight so that it doesn't add too much bulk to my card. 
That's it for now.  I hope you enjoyed this card. 
Stamps:  Extreme Elements, Three Little Words
Paper: Cajun Craze, Always Artichoke, Crumb Cake
Ink: Cajun Craze, Soft Suede, Always Artichoke (craft,) Black Staz-On
Accessories: Linen Thread 
Tools: Houndstooth Embossing Folder, Big Shot

No comments:

Post a Comment